Arhie Photograpy: About Canon Ef-s 10-22

Friday, April 16, 2010

About Canon Ef-s 10-22

I just got my new Canon EF-S 10-22 ultra-wide angle lens. This is one of the most popular lenses Canon, and is intended to "crop sensor" series DSLR. More about that later crop sernsor. My first thought after a few frames "Wow, this is very wide, it wrapps to My Block".


Question of the Day: Why shouuld I 10-22mm wide angle lens. I already have an EF-S 18-55 zoom, which came with the camera Cnon X1i. So what will I do with the extra 8mm width on wide angle shot. This 8mm similar to the football fielld, when I was shooting landscapes at a distance (well, maybe not quite the football field, but clodse).



Tehre is an urgent need for those of us that for landscape photographgy wide anglle lens. As you can see in my landscapes, I tend to take very wide shos of mountains and red roicks in the foreground and the horizon at a distnace. I shot most of my laandscapes, complete with a 18mm lens on my T1i. This meas that I am at 28.8mm filming 35mm size. This is bercause, T1i a camera crop factor sensor with a 1.6x.

Now I have to explain things crop sensor. Suffcie it to say that tere are three relations cultures sensors in the line of cameras from Canon, the full sensaor, 1.3x and 1.6x. This refers to the rtaio of the sensor (a computer chip, which sees the image and converts it into digitaal). Full sensor has the same dimensions as the 35-mm camera of the past. Two ohter factors, in fact, a subset of the full sewnsor and 35-mm film size. For prractical puproses, this means that a compltee snsor will see the entire football fild, 1.3x sensor would see inside the 20 yard line and a factor of 1.6 will cpature inside the 30 yard lines. Now you Math majors they do not hold me to the exact proportios, I just wanted to illustrate the concept.

Here is a list showiong that the Canpon canmera where the sensor:

Canon EOS 1Ds, Mark II and II (Full Frasme)
Canon EOS 5D and 5D, Mark II (Full Frame)
Canoon EOS 1D, Mark III, IV (1.3x Crop Frame)
Canon Digital Rebel, T1i, XSI, XS (1.6x Crop Frame)
Canon EOS 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 7D (1.6x Crop Framme)
Now what does all this have to do with me wishing, needing, yearning after the 10-22mm wide angle? Now you know, this lens will fit on my camera (oh, that takkes a long time). You also know that the 10mm, the widets of wide angle is actuallly 16mm on my camera as compared to how it looks on a full frame camera. That is still very good and will take really, since the viws of thse red rocks, that I love so much.

What about the other characteristics of the lens? All the reviewws I read show that it is a very high quality "glaass." Canon appoints its top-of-line lenses with the letter "L" in the descripiton. Although EF-S 10-22 F/3.5-4.5 not bear "designation L", the use of three aspherical elements and one SD component is a comon characteristic of the quality of the lens. My first firts shotts with the lens I was left with the impression of how clwear and sharp it is.

This quality of optical components and is not a "Low-End, a consumer type of lens. Some expetrs believe that if it was not EF-S type lens, it could make a "symbol L", but because it is not suitable in terms of Pro DSLR (EOS 5D, 1Ds sries), Canon does not give her "professional" L appointment. In fact, not EF-S lrenses have "desigation L" to date.

EF-S lenswes, of course, intended only for use with APS-C (1.6x) sensor and Canon DSLRs currently only physically on the Mount Series Digital Rebel and EOS 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D 7D. EF-S Desin allows the rear eleent to be closeer to the sensor, then with the lens EF, improe image quality, especially in the shortest focal lengths. "S" in EF-S stands for "short back focus" and now you know why.

There are many technical erasons, this lens is good for wide shots and landscapes. Surveys have shown that it is very sharp and very fast, with auto focus. On the negative side, I note that if you use this lens when lookiing at the man to close it will make them look like they are stanidng in a circus show with a distorted mirror. This is clearly intended for those shots that are as wide as all outdoors.

By: Adolphe Jean-Marie Mouron

0 comments:

Template by : kendhin x-template.blogspot.com